Wednesday, August 29, 2007

A blogger's code of conduct

One of the issues that have kept me busy is investigating best practises related to different web 2.0 activities, including blogging. During my studies I came across this excellent blogger's code of conduct:

  1. I will tell the truth.
  2. I will write deliberately and with accuracy.
  3. I will acknowledge and correct mistakes promptly.
  4. I will preserve the original post, using notations to show where I have made changes so as to maintain the integrity of my publishing.
  5. I will never delete a post.
  6. I will not delete comments unless they are spam or off-topic.
  7. I will reply to emails and comments when appropriate, and do so promptly.
  8. I will strive for high quality with every post – including basic spellchecking.
  9. I will stay on topic.
  10. I will disagree with other opinions respectfully.
  11. I will link to online references and original source materials directly.
  12. I will disclose conflicts of interest.
  13. I will keep private issues and topics private, since discussing private issues would jeopardize my personal and work relationships.

This is in fact taken from a Forrester Best Practices Report: Blogging: Bubble Or Big Deal: When And How Businesses Should Use Blogs. But I am more than happy to adopt it as my own from now on (with the minor reservation that I tend sometimes to overlook typos in my original postings so I need to go back and correct them later).

No comments: